Guidance on safely hosting in-person events during peak COVID-19 transmission periods
The Australian Global Health Alliance acknowledges the value and importance of interacting in-person for the continuation of some of our work. As the peak body for global health organisations in Australia, we have a responsibility to conduct our events safely.
We issue the following guidance for our members on how to safely conduct such in-person events and engagements during peak COVID-19 transmission periods, in order to minimise disruption and ensure the safety and wellbeing of ourselves, our colleagues and our community.
In view of the rapid escalation of cases across Australia, the increased burden placed on our hospitals and health staff, and the ongoing risk to individual health and wellbeing, the Alliance strongly endorses the recommendations of the World Health Organization and the Australian Department of Health to ensure safety of all delegates attending in-person events – held both indoors or outdoors – and to reduce the risk of transmission.
We therefore will be following the below recommendations at all Alliance-led in-person events during this period, and strongly encourage members and partners to consider the same processes:
Responsibilities of Attendees
- Masks must be worn when an event is held indoors or when safe social distancing cannot be guaranteed. We recommend the use of N95, P2 or similar grade masks where possible
- Keep a distance of 1.5 metres, where possible
- Practise good hygiene – wash and sanitise hands regularly
- Take a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) before attending
- If you are showing any of the current symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, coughing, sore throat, runny nose etc) please do not attend the event.
Responsibilities of Organisers
- Be up to date with the latest COVID-19 restrictions and mandates in place in the state the event is taking place
- Cleaning and sanitising equipment before and after use
- Air purification system in place, or brought in for small dense areas such as theatres
- Maximise ventilation of spaces, where possible and according to context
- Ensure masks and hand sanitiser is available for attendees
- Organisers and partners to be briefed about COVID-safe protocols
These are the current measures we are actively taking to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and other airborne illnesses such as the flu. Attendees of Australian Global Health Alliance events are kindly requested to follow all of these procedures diligently, to maintain a healthy and safe environment for all.
It’s important that we all respond responsibly and transparently to these health precautions. We will continue to monitor any changes to local government and global guidelines.
We thank you for your cooperation.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the team at the Australian Global Health Alliance at: ausglobalhealth.org/contact/
- Advice for the public: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) | World Health Organization
- Protect yourself and others from COVID-19 | Australian Department of Health
- Staying safe: What you can do to reduce the risk and stop the spread of COVID-19 | coronavirus.vic.gov.au
Version 1.0 | 21 July 2022